Monday, August 31, 2009

what angel wakes me from my flowery bed?

in english, we're reading a midsummer night's dream.

i'm so glad, as i have inherited, probably mostly from my mother (though a little from my father i'll wager), a great, undying love for shakespeare, but i haven't read midsummer before now.
i was called to read this line by the teacher, a line from one of titania's spritely servants:

Over hill, over dale,
Thorough bush, thorough brier,
Over park, over pale,
Thorough flood, thorough fire,
I do wander everywhere,
Swifter than the moon's sphere;
And I serve the fairy queen,
To dew her orbs upon the green.
The cowslips tall her pensioners be:
In their gold coats spots you see;
Those be rubies, fairy favours,
In those freckles live their savours:
I must go seek some dewdrops here
And hang a pearl in every cowslip's ear.
Farewell, thou lob of spirits; I'll be gone:
Our queen and all our elves come here anon

i thought it funny because the line reminds me of me. i am both a wanderer and a wonderer; am forever off with the fairies. even the beautiful descriptions shows my love of nature (and my love of describing nature in stories).
i also today read some lines of Helena's, who i think is my favorite character next to the wandering little fairy. i got to yell at the guys playing Lysander and Demetrius, which was fun.


i really am loving a midsummer night's dream, especially the setting. an enchanted forest beyond the outskirts of Athens, the kingdom ruled by a fighting king and queen fairy. sometime, hopefully soon, i'll describe what i see in my head, the forest of green and gold and crystalline blue. but for now i should get back to my dreams. have a lovely week until i post again!

6 comments:

  1. oh, you're very welcome dear :) i had to read it too when i did english and i enjoyed every minute of it :) beautiful post again, and lovely pictures ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is beautiful :)! i have never read a midsummer night's dream but i sure will, i heard so many gorgeous things about it :) you have such a lovely blog here! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi grace! What a beautiful & cute blog you have here :) I remember reading A Midsummer Night's Dream in English too. Loved and still love it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. i LOVE midsummer night's dream. it is my most favourite♥

    you have such magical words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh so pretty i love it! ♥
    i will check out that book for sure!
    xoxo ♥ xoxo

    ReplyDelete